The Power of Retargeting

Have you ever visited a website browsing some things you like and then the next thing you know you see ads for that same website everywhere? Their social media ads end up on your timeline, their google ads pop up when your searching something, you even see pop ups when you’re on other websites. It’s like that business is everywhere you are, and next thing you know you’re back on that website thinking of buying something again. It’s not magic you’re witnessing, your phone or laptop is not spying on you, you’ve have simply become subjected to the power of retartgeting. Retargeting or remarketing is an online advertising strategy that involves serving website visitors advertisements based on their prior Internet use. The goal of retargeting is to convert passive site visitors into active customers by displaying advertisements for products or services the visitor previously searched for.

How Does It Work

As a visitor to a website it works like this, basically retargeting allows a company to connect with a website visitor who has left the site without making a purchase. The strategy involves using cookies, which the website puts on the visitor’s hard disk so that it can remember something about the visitor at a later time. So if you’ve ever been on a site and they’ve asked you to allow the cookies, this is why.

Now if you are a business and you’re looking to do some retargeting this is how it will work on your end. Depending on what platform you use to do your retargeting the steps can vary but generally speaking you are provided with a Javascript code to put in the header or footer of the web pages you want to track customers. If you want to track them on every single one of your web pages then you’ll have to put the code on all of your web pages. Depending on your web host their might even be certain plugins you can use to make this process a little easier, but usually someone has manually insert the code. There typically different tracking codes for different actions on your website. The most typical one is the code used to track who visits your website, but there are also codes to track certain actions they take on your website such as add to cart, purchases made, and booking confirmation. Once you have inserted the proper codes you are able to track visitors to your site and the first step to retargeting has been completed.

Retargeting Ads

Retargeting people who have visited your website is one the most effective ways of marketing to people. It’s ideal because the people you are targeting have already shown interest in your product or service. It’s very important that the kind of ad you create feels personal to the audience and isn’t generic. Retargeting is most effective if you segment your visitors (e.g., people who looked at shoes vs. pants) and tailor the retargeting ads shown to each group, or you can decide not to retarget them at all (e.g., people who converted).

It’s also a good idea to use incentives in your remarketing ads. The person has already shown interest so all you need is a little push for them to purchase your product or service. Offering a special promotional code to people or some sort of discount will encourage them to come back to your website and make a purchase. The best-performing retargeting creative has a clear call-to-action and promotes an offer.

Time is also a factor when it comes to your ads. You should be mindful of the time and action taken on your website when you are serving ads. Different products warrant different retargeting time windows. For example, people shopping for travel should be retargeted immediately; people shopping for luxury goods should be retargeted later. If a customer just bought a product, they aren’t likely going to buy it again until the product needs to be replaced so remarketing that same product is bad practice and probably a waste of money.

Benefits of Retargeting

Generally, 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings back the other 98%.  Retargeting generates greater online sales by keeping your brand front and center and bringing “window shoppers” back when they’re ready to buy. Every time your customer sees your retargeting ads, your brand gains traction and more recognition. The high click-through rates and increased conversions that are typical with retargeting campaigns underscore the value of good branding and repeated exposure.

If you need assistance with your remarketing ads, or your digital ads feel free to contact u here at Bear Necessities Markerting! We also provide other marketing services and a free consultation.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply